Hey everyone: your friends at The Dashcam Store with a brand-new unboxing video. Today’s camera: the long awaited BlackVue DR900S-2CH-IR. The “IR” stands for infrared.
Click on any image below to view a larger version.
This version of the BlackVue DR900S series offers 4K front-facing video, as well as 1080p Full HD recording from an inside-facing camera lens, now with infrared nightvision, perfect for taxis or rideshare like Uber and Lyft, where keeping an eye on things inside of the vehicle is critical. The non-IR version, the DR900S-2CH, is designed for front and rear recording, as opposed to this model which is intended for front and inside recording.
Please note that this will be a quick unboxing since we’ve already gone over all the specs and details in our original 900S series unboxing. See link below:
Before we get into some of the features, let’s go over what’s in the box of your new DR900S-2CH-IR dashcam.
- Your main camera with front windshield mount
- The IR camera with adhesive mount, note the ambient light sensor and infrared LEDs that aren’t present on the non-IR version. Don’t worry, the light from these LEDs are invisible to our eyes, so you won’t see anything lighting up your interior, but the camera lens does see them, so the video will show the infrared illumination inside your vehicle at night
- (1) BlackVue Micro SD card and USB adapter (either 16, 32, 64 or 128gb)
- (1) standard power cable
- (1) IR camera cable which connects into the main unit
- (1) trim tool
- (8) cable clips
- (2) spare 3M adhesive pads, should you need them later
- And finally, your user manual / quick start guide
Now we can get into a few of the features that make this camera stand above the rest. The main unit utilizes an Ultra high definition 8MP CMOS image sensor and records in an astonishing 4K @ 30fps, or you can drop the settings to record in 1080p @ 60fps if so desired. The main camera has a wide viewing angle of 162 degrees.
The IR lens records in 1080p at 30fps using a 2.1MP Sony STARVIS™ image sensor, with a 145-degree viewing angle. The outstanding infrared functionality ensures that your dashcam will capture critical details whether you are driving or letting your BlackVue monitor your parked vehicle, day or night.
As we’ll see in the sample footage, you can mount this IR camera practically anywhere inside the vehicle. Most commonly, the lens gets mounted on the front windshield facing backwards into the vehicle (which provides a good view of the driver), or perhaps on the rear glass facing forward into the vehicle (which provides a different perspective inside the vehicle). The choice is yours!
A few other highlights of the DR900S series:
- Connectible via direct-WiFi connection or Over-the-Cloud (via an existing hotspot)
- Now uses a dual-band WiFi allowing you to connect to either 2.4 or 5GHZ hotspots, which means you now have more choices in how you can connect to BlackVue’s Over the Cloud service and a faster file transfer as well
- With High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC) using the new H.265 codec, the leading standard in 4K recording and broadcasting, your files are the same size as if they were 1080p. In other words, you get 4 times bigger and better images without sacrificing recording time
- The new overwrite protection allows you to store 50 event files without fear of them being over written
- Adaptive format-free file management improves recording stability and requires less formatting of your SD card
- Compatible with BlackVue’s new Power Magic EZ OBD2 adapter
- Compatible with The Dashcam Store infrared lens offset mounting bracket, for improved interior view
Alright, so now we can check out the actual footage!
If you have any questions, please contact us!
Get our blog posts, top resources, and exclusive offers delivered to your inbox.
Subscribe, and get 5% off your first purchase with us!