A dashcam with Parking Mode means that your dashcam can continue to operate when your vehicle is parked and the engine is turned off. Instead of recording all of the time (as dashcams do while you're driving), a dashcam with "Smart" Parking Mode (from quality brands like BlackVue or Thinkware) vigilantly "watches over" your vehicle while you're away, and if an incident occurs, only the actual incident itself is recorded, so you don't need to sift through hours of useless footage later. The incident footage is "locked" (protected) for later review, and some models will even notify you that something occurred near your vehicle, the next time you start the ignition. Parking Mode dashcams are equipped with high quality image and vibration sensors that detect motion or impact to ensure that if your vehicle is tampered with, bumped, or worse, you'll know exactly what happened.
A few of the example benefits of using a dashcam with Parking Mode:
- Know when your vehicle has been tampered with even while you're not in close proximity
- Event pre-buffering: BlackVue and Thinkware dashcams will even show you 5-10 seconds of footage before an impact, to capture hit-and-run license plate numbers or the faces of vandals
- Receive instant notifications to your smartphone with the Waylens 4G Secure360 or BlackVue's "Over the Cloud" dashcams
- Do you park on the street often? Instead of guessing what happened to your vehicle, you'll know by simply reviewing the parking mode event footage
- Keep an eye on your vehicle while it's at the mechanic shop to keep everyone accountable
- Configurable sensitivity settings to determine precisely what threshold triggers event recordings
If you're concerned about the security of your vehicle (or cargo) and don't want to be left guessing in the event of an incident, a dashcam with Parking Mode brings terrific peace of mind!
Want to know more? Check out our blog answering frequently asked questions about Parking Mode which can help point you in the right direction when choosing which dashcam is best for you or your business.